Saturday 23 July 2011

Field Sports In Scotland Pt.1

It's A Clue, Init

If yesterdays phone calls are to be believed this weeks posts will be from the highlands. I'm heading due north to Scotland on a secret mission which I'll tell you about later. The good news is there's not much to do, so I'm skiving off to meet Andy Richardson from Safari in Scotland for a Short Walk in the Highland Kush, some wild food, and if his nerves can take it, he's offered to give me a few pointers for my fly fishing.

Emergency services have been alerted, the Scottish parliament recalled from their summer break,  medical and legal professionals are standing by.

While we chat on the phone every so often we've never actually met. Andy's been a long time suporter and reader of the blog from back in the days when he used to blog for Sporting Shooter magazine's blog ring. As the name Safari in Scotland suggests he's Mr Fieldsports north of the border with access to over 1,000,000 acres of shooting land.  Andy is a a known killer with Gun, Rod and Rifle while I'm distinguished only by my ability to turn fly lines into birds nests, and as a known flincher with gun and rifle.

This is also a great chance to do some gear tests, make trout laugh, and catch a few breaths of the fresh stuff in the only really wild parts left on these islands.

Let the chaos commence adventure begin

SBW










13 comments:

Josh said...

Have fun! And by the way, I just learned that our family is Scottish, septs of the clan Donnachaidh, hailing from Pitlochry.

Now I want a kilt in hunting robertson.

hodgeman said...

Go get 'em!

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Josh

You wont believe the money Kilts cost theses days, seriously, decent rifle glass money.

I'm hoping to do some on-the-hoof posts while I'm there

SBW

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Hodge

I'd bought a new rod and I'm having it delivered there so maybe, just maybe, for once I'll have managed to spend my way to fishing competence.

Yeah right.

We'll be pigeon shooting too which is known as great sport up there
SBW

Anonymous said...

Hope you are enjoying yourself! Excited to hear all about your kilt wearing fly fishing trip.

Phillip said...

See if I can keep my fat fingers on the keys and not delete my whole comment again...

Anyway, sounds like you're off on a great adventure. All the best ones are "top secret", so of course we're all waiting with bated breath for the details and updates.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Shawna

It all going well, and i'll be posting a report soon
SBW

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Phillip

My highland exploits continue and I'll be sure to keep you posted
SBW

Nick said...

Sounds great, shoot some Haggis if they`re in season ;)

LSP said...

Have fun in Scotland -- like the TV shot and I hope you don't mind, but we're sending Piers "America's got Talent" Morgan back home.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up...

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Nick

I've been trying to learn to catch them on a 5/6 weight. Meanwhile midges have declared open season on me!
SBW

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

LSP

Re Piers Morgan - You bought him, as seen, NO RETURNS.
SBW

Dave said...

Great stories and information. I am half Scottish, My great grandfather was a golf club naker and golf pro. I enjoy reading your posts on filed sports. saltwater fishing is my favorite sport but I do love hunting deer as much for the sport of taking game but also the enjoyment of making sausage and jerky. Thanks for the great reading.